A number of Christians have been asking questions of the candidates in this election. I myself am a Christian. My response to the questions I am being asked is as follows:
They write: There have been occasions where individuals or groups that have sought to explain Biblical teaching in a public place have been the subject of aggressive policing and even arrest, as have those, for example, who have sought to inform people about the nature of controversial subjects such as abortion. The inclusion of the word ‘insulting’ in Section 5 of the Public Order Act has been especially problematic in this regard. I should therefore be interested to know whether you support reform of the Public Order Act.
Let me be clear. The role of the Police Commissioner is to facilitate the enforcement of the law, no matter how unpopular the legislation. That applies to Section 5 of the Public Order Act just as it applies to the Hunting Act or any other piece of unpopular legislation. I am not trying to dodge your question. The word 'insulting' should be removed from the public order act. However, I also share Tolstoy's view that when it comes to religion the expression "I am right and you are wrong" is the cruelest thing one person can say to another.
They ask:
What steps can be taken in the interim to ensure that police policy and training equips Police Officers to safeguard the freedom of Christians and others to speak Biblical truth in the public square, even where some may find that truth controversial.
If Christians break the law they must be willing to face the consequences and stand up for what they believe. They should never be given special privilege. To do so would be a fundamental error. Having said which I believe the police force is there to protect freedoms including both freedom of expression and freedom of religion. Therefore, if it helps assuage your concern, please note the fact that I rank the right to Freedom of Expression above the demands of the Public Order Act - within reason that is. If someone preaches hate they will find the provisions of the Public Order Act being enforced. Note also however, that there is a clear distinction between operational policing and police policy. If elected I will set police policy and not dictate operational matters.
They ask: Would you therefore be prepared to take advice from national and local Christian groups to ensure such freedom can be protected and any confusion about the Law clarified?The answer is most definitely. Indeed I will seek out the views of fellow Christians and engage with them on these issues. This post is about consultation.
They ask: Would you therefore be prepared to take advice from national and local Christian groups to ensure such freedom can be protected and any confusion about the Law clarified?The answer is most definitely. Indeed I will seek out the views of fellow Christians and engage with them on these issues. This post is about consultation.
You refer to the involvement of Christians in serving their local communities in areas that overlap with local policing (e.g. Street Pastor or Street Angels groups). Could you indicate support for the work of local Christian groups in the local community, alongside the police and what guarantees can you give that they will continue to have the freedom to do so, whilst maintaining their Christian ethos and identity.
The big plus of Street Pastors is that they do not evangelise and have thus garnered huge respect. They lead by example and have proved an invaluable resource. I will support them. More than support them, I will provide them with real backing wherever possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment