I have been asked about my response to the domestic violence issue by the manager of the "North Devon Repair project", a perpetrator programme funded through the Against Domestic Abuse and Violence (ADVA) partnership based at Devon County Council. This is my response:
Domestic violence is an issue of grave concern. Here in Devon and Cornwall we have a year on year rise in cases of domestic abuse of about 5%. Generally (though not invariably) we are talking of violence against women perpetrated by men, either boyfriends against girlfriends of husband against wives. It affects whole families of course, as youngsters that witness domestic violence on the part of their parents are themselves deeply traumatised by the experience. Three-quarters of the children at risk come from families in which their is domestic violence. Obviously we need a multi-agency approach. And we have to be careful about the solutions we choose. Putting children into care is not generally satisfactory. 80% of the children taken into care eventually end up in prison.
What I would like to examine is the use of 311 notices. I think we need to enforce Harassment Orders / Non Molestation Orders. A power of arrest must always be used with Occupation Orders.
Torbay has a dedicated solicitor to deal with cases of domestic violence so that they avoid the problem of the poverty trap whereby some cannot afford to take the appropriate legal action.
I am not a legal expert and I am not planning to become one. But I will seek advice from those that are and that includes people like yourself. And my intention (subject to consultation) is to employ a police lawyer to deal with domestic violence. I view this as a matter of grave concern.
No comments:
Post a Comment