This is the blog of William Morris, Secretary General of the Next Century Foundation and Chairman of the International Communications Forum. William was an independent candidate for the post of Police and Crime Commissioner for the Devon and Cornwall Police Force in the recent November 2012 elections. You can contact him on williammorris@southwestjustice.org .





You can also follow William on twitter @SouthWestMorris or on facebook or on his website http://www.southwestjustice.org/







Saturday, August 25, 2012

Who am I?

My name is William Morris and I am a prospective candidate for the post of Police and Crime Commissioner for the South West, the Devon and Cornwall Force.

I am from Penzance in Cornwall. I have lived in London, Wales, and of course Cornwall, as well as overseas in the Middle East. I stand, now, as an independent. I believe that it is probably best if the candidates for Police Commissioner are independent of any political party. But it is one of those issues for which there are counter arguments, and Boris, our London Police Commissioner, has proved reasonably competent so there are exceptions that prove the rule.

I have worked as a farmer (owning a sheep farm in South Wales), a miner and a publisher. Currently I head up a charity called The Next Century Foundation which works at conflict resolution in the Middle East and on which my role involves handling sensitive second track negotiations on peace process issues. I also chair the International Council for Press and Broadcasting which hosts the annual International Media Awards in London. Formerly I chaired the West Cornwall Marine Forum and have always taken a personal interest in marine and fisheries issues (and am a qualified diver).

My interest in crime prevention developed during the ten years I lived and worked in South Wales, at which time I volunteered as a Prison Visitor at Swansea Gaol, visiting the Young Offenders Unit as well as the adult wing. I am acutely aware of the unique problems of the South West, and believe that social deprivation is a key cause of crime.

I am married. My wife Veronica was a teacher and now works with me at the NCF. We have three children, Joseph, Loveday and Samuel, and one grandchild, Florence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment